GROUND LIST

Friday 6 November 2015

VFB LÜBECK (Stadion an der Lohmühle)

REGIONALLIGA NORD, VFB LÜBECK 0-2 SV MEPPEN, ATTENDANCE: 1,668

They say things happen in three's. Well that certainly was the case today as I had a rather eventful first day in my latest journey to Deutschland.

Firstly, my flight to Hannover was cancelled leading to me being put on another flight via Dusseldorf, secondly, this delay led to me missing my train North meaning I had shell out for another ticket.

Thirdly, I could have, inadvertently, got a good hiding at the game!

When I innocently went on the home terrace, minding my business, taking a few snaps, as I always do, some home fans basically made it abundantly clear that "groundhoppers are not welcome" and told me to get out "or there would be problems" I can take a hint! They wouldn't let me pass until I'd deleted said photos. Clearly they didn't want any images taken of them, even if I wasn't specifically photographing them.

I thought it just may have been me, but a German groundhopper I know told me he had problems in Lübeck and was also informed strangers are not welcome. Apparently some of their fans seek out "strangers" at every game.



Anyhow, a little bit shaken I managed to upgrade to the main stand for additional €7 (the terrace was €7) to watch SV Meppen win 2-0. The home side wasted that many chances though, the game should have been over before Meppen had netted their first goal.

Skipper Martin Wagner fired Meppen into the lead after 30 minutes, with a shot from just outside the area. Erdogan Pini doubled the visitors advantage after 44 minutes. This led to a number of Meppen fans going bare chested, à la Newcastle, in celebration.

The visitors played the last 20 minutes with ten men after goalscorer Wagner received his 2nd yellow card, but by this point Lübeck had ran out of ideas as Meppen comfortably saw the game out.



Even at the end, when the stadium was virtually empty, I thought I would try again but a couple of other fans appeared from nowhere and starting to question me for taking pictures of a deserted main stand. The evening left a rather unpleasant taste in the mouth.

I have to be thankful that I was able to walk away from the ground, which is actually rather good, but I will certainly be in no hurry to visit VfB Lübeck again. I would advise any groundhopper going to the Lohmühle to be vigilant.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.